Monday, October 02, 2006

Book Report!

So I'm almost finished reading Ministry in the Image of God by Dr. Seamands. I like it! I decided to read it A. because he gave it to me and I trust him, B. because it looked like something I needed to read, and C. because I miss being in seminary and having books like this assigned to me so I have to read them! I like that accountability.

Anyway, there are lot's of good things in this book, great implications for how the very being of the Trinity ought to affect the ministry in which we participate. That's helpful thought number #1: the ministry in which we participate is Jesus's ministry here in the world, not something we created or own. We get to help him.

Helpful thought #2 for today comes from the chapter I just read on Mutual Indwelling. It talks about how the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit exist in a dance, all indwelling each other and allowing themselves to be indwelt by the other. As mere mortals, we get invited into that dance by Jesus's life and death and life. So what does that imply for His ministry? One of the 4 implications Dr. Seamands lists is "intercessory prayer." This made a huge impression on me, because I never really thought about what my job is as an intercessor. Sure, I've always known it is important to pray for other people, and I've done that a lot, out loud, on paper, in letters, in groups...but I have often thought of that as something I do by myself, unless there are other people sitting next to me, also praying. What I realized as I was reading is that intercession is Jesus's job. That's what he does, he prays for us. So when I pray for other people, I'm joining Jesus in what he is already doing.

This gives us both freedom and confidence as we pray. It's freeing to know that praying for other people is not a job we have to carry by ourselves. We're not alone at all, and it's not that Jesus is helping us, it's more that we're helping Jesus. This gives us confidence because our prayers are added to those of Jesus. And powerful (and awesome) is that?

No comments: