Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Must see TV

I think I have watched more TV since living in Mississippi than I did in the four years while I was at Asbury. Last night we got sucked in to "Deal or No Deal." We decided we could be compulsive gamblers. I don't know which is worse, the fact that we were talking to the contestants, telling them to take the deal and not be greedy, or the fact that we will probably watch it again tonight. and I have to say, I was all for the guy taking the $675,000 but then I was pretty disappointed he didn't ride it out to the end, seeing as he had $3 million in his case all along. thank goodness I'm not on that show. It's too much pressure...

our other favorite show to watch is the Cosby show at 12 every day at lunch. today I saw an episode I didn't remember ever seeing before. Vanessa came home drunk and Cliff and Claire punished her by making her play a drinking game with them...but then she realized they were just drinking juice.

then our other thing to watch is HGTV. who knew ben was into interior design. he has definite opinions and has made them known as we have arranged furniture, hung pictures, and tried to match comforters to wall colors. we keep thinking of things we'd like to do here in our house...

today we actually watched MTV for half an hour. that's about as much as I can stand. It was some show called "Sweet 16" something or other and it's about these 15 year old people having the most outrageous and ridiculous birthday parties. the guy today was all upset because his invitations were a day late and then they turned out to be mp3 players with his voice on them, inviting his whole school to a club for his party, enticing them by telling them some big name rappers would be there. and they were. it just got us to thinking about how MTV is such a false reality. they have all these shows which portray life as a fantasy, a dream world, centered around dating, sex, fashion, music, parties, etc. money never holds anybody back, but is a power and status symbol. what worries me is that people who watch MTV will start to believe that's how we all ought to live and that if we don't get a Hummer for our 16th birthday we're nobody, completely uncool, total failures, second rate.

so what's the point here...i definitely watch too much TV and I know it. it gives me something to think about anyway. i guess that's what can happen when you don't have a job.

2 comments:

John David Walt said...

just don't get sucked into Gray's Anatomy. . . . .

;-)

me personally, i'm taking a break until the next season of 24 cranks up in January i think. it's worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

Johndeere is right. Gray's Anatomy is adictive. As is Ugly Betty!!