Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Isaiah 50:4-9 (TNIV)
4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
5 The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears;
I have not been rebellious,
I have not turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.
7 Because the Sovereign LORD helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.
8 He who vindicates me is near.
Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other!
Who are my accusers?
Let them confront me!
9 It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
Who will condemn me?

This passage was recorded by the prophet Isaiah, many years before Jesus was born. Isaiah was a messenger of God, who taught and preached to the people of Israel. We can imagine that in this passage Isaiah was describing his own life, how he was been instructed and helped by God. He was God’s representative, even though there were people who mistreated, confronted, and condemned him.

Do you think Jesus could have felt like Isaiah did? Why or why not? How was Jesus instructed and helped by God?

No comments: